I love San Francisco. Love it, love it, love it. I have to say though that it’s a unique place that creates opportunities like nowhere else. However, this funky climate we’ve all come to enjoy lends itself to some interesting situations at work. We are arrogant, we are fun, but above all we are geeks!
1. Watch what you say at your office, because if it’s funny to someone then it WILL get tweeted.
— John Boitnott (@jboitnott) November 21, 2013
2. You can text and tweet while in a meeting, holding a conversation, going to the bathroom or talking on the phone. 100% acceptable in SF, but not in the rest of the world.
3. TLAs are always welcome. We *love* our three letter acronyms. Whether it’s API, SDK or TMI – we’re using it. We’re texting it and yes, we’re probably tweeting it.
4. You cannot assume that a person eats meat or owns a tv, because there’s a good chance they don’t. We always say let’s do lunch, but rarely does it happen. Maybe this is not a unique to SF thing, but nobody here seems to take an actual lunch, ever.
5. Frequently the question is asked: “Do you know ______ the founder of ________?” Wait for it… And the answer is often “Yes”! As big as the Bay Area is, it’s actually quite small. Don’t make enemies in SF, because you WILL run into them and they will annoy you.
Bonus video, Two of Hearts: